Gender Affirming Care
We promote the health and well-being of our transgender, intersex, and gender diverse clients in a safe, affirming environment where they are treated with dignity. Family support is available as well. Our clinicians follow Word Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) guidelines.
Gender and Sexuality Affirming Care
True to the mission of DAP, we enhance and promote the health and well-being of our community by providing our transgender, intersex, and gender diverse clients an affirming environment where they can feel safe, respected, and treated with dignity. We also offer support to their partners and families.
Our clinicians follow World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) guidelines and obtain WPATH training and continuing education in the assessment and treatment of gender dysphoria.
We recognize that our services and programs are most effective when we address intersectionality issues that contribute to the risks of stigma and discrimination specific to the transgender, intersex, and gender diverse community. By providing services designed to empower and engage our clients in ongoing relationships with their primary care clinician, we address the full spectrum of health and wellness needs. Our medical team works closely with other disciplines in behavioral health, community health, nutrition services, and social services to provide all of our clients compassionate and comprehensive care.
Our clinicians provide:
- Primary and Preventative Care
- Hormone Care
- Wellness services such as immunizations, lower exam with PAP and HPV testing; as well as referrals for mammograms, bone density scans, colonoscopy, abdominal aortic aneurysm screening, lung cancer screening, and colposcopy if needed
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) screenings and treatment
- HIV Specialty Care such as testing, treatment, and prevention, including PrEP and PEP
- Hepatitis C screening and treatment
- High-resolution anoscopy for detection and treatment of high-grade anal dysplasia (pre-cancerous lesions in the anal canal)
- Annual physicals and pre-op evaluation
- Referrals for Behavioral Health
- Referrals and collaboration with specialists for gender affirming surgeries and procedures
- Nutrition services
- Onsite laboratory diagnostic services
- Prescriptions filled at the in-house federal government program 340B pharmacy
DAP is committed to providing high quality, culturally-competent Behavioral Health services to both HIV positive and HIV negative adult members of the Desert transgender, intersex, and gender diverse community. Our clinicians provide mental health and substance use assessment and treatment; individual and group psychotherapy; and psychiatric medication assessment and management.
Our Behavioral Health clinicians work to maximize the overall psychological well-being, quality of life, and self-fulfillment for our transgender, intersex, and gender diverse community clients; to help clients achieve long-term comfort with their gender identity and expression; and promote success in relationships, education and work.
Our clinicians provide:
- Psychotherapy assistance to explore gender identity and expression, to help facilitate coming out processes, and to address the negative impacts of gender dysphoria and stigma;
- Assessment, referral and preparation for feminizing/masculinizing medical interventions such as hormones and surgery;
- Help in enhancing social and peer supports, improving body image, promoting resilience;
- Psychological support and education for partners and family;
- Psychotherapy for coexisting mental health/substance use concerns, including for issues unrelated to gender dysphoria.
You are special, and you have a unique story to tell. Let us be part of your gender journey. Contact a member of our care team today by completing the form below.
We accept Medi-Cal, Medicare, most major insurance plans, and some HMOs. If you are currently not insured, Desert AIDS Project wants to work with you to find a way to get you into care through Covered California or determine your eligibility for medical and drug assistance programs.